(Initiatives for the Supply Chain)
We at the Kyowa Kirin Group are promoting CSR procurement across the entire supply chain by ensuring that our suppliers understand and cooperate with our initiatives.
To ensure a stable supply of high-quality products, we are working to conduct open and fair CSR procurement. As part of our efforts, we stipulate the Kyowa Kirin Group Procurement Policy*1, which manifests our determination to promote CSR procurement in collaboration with suppliers.
To address the growing importance of CSR procurement, we established the Supplier Code of Conduct in the Kyowa Kirin CSR Procurement Guidebook. The Supplier Code of Conduct covers areas in which cooperation by suppliers is required, including respect for human rights, compliance with laws and regulations, environmental conservation, and information management.
- *1:The Kyowa Kirin Group Procurement Policy is established based on the Kyowa Kirin Group Code of Conduct established according to the policy of Kirin Group.
In promoting CSR procurement, all divisions incorporate their respective issues into their action plans and proceed with measures to solve them. Progress is reported at the Group CSR Committee.
In order to ensure that all employees have a shared awareness of the significance of practicing CSR procurement, training programs for all employees were continued to be offered in 2020. The training programs have also been provided at domestic Group companies since 2019.
Going forward, we intend to build a platform for promoting CSR procurement among suppliers based on collaboration between Group companies within and outside Japan and Kyowa Kirin’s procurement organizations.
Kyowa Kirin Group Procurement Policy
Revised on September 1, 2020
To provide customers with safe and reliable products and services with clear value propositions, and thereby to fulfill the Kyowa Kirin Group's management philosophy whereby "The Kyowa Kirin Group companies strive to contribute to the health and well-being of people around the world by creating new value through the pursuit of advances in life sciences and technologies", the Kyowa Kirin Group is committed to fair and open procurement with the cooperation of our suppliers.
- 1.Steadyfocus on quality
- (1)In procurement practices, we place a high priority on pursuing safety and quality in accordance with the "Kyowa Kirin Group Quality Assurance Policy," while also taking costs into account.
- (2)We welcome new ideas and technical solutions for increasing customer value from suppliers.
- 2.Fair and open business dealings
- (1)We select suppliers based on their performance in quality (Q), cost (C), delivery (D), reliable supply, CSR efforts, technological expertise and ability to propose innovative ideas, etc.
- (2)We use a competitive bidding and selection process for procurement to ensure fairness to all suppliers.
- 3.Ensuring regulatory and ethical compliance
- (1)We observe social norms as well as the letter and spirit of laws and regulations, and conduct business in a sensible and socially responsible manner.
- (2)Employees engaged in procurement practices shall not have personal conflicts of interest with any supplier. They shall not receive from any supplier rewards or gifts which deviate from social norms. They shall not force any supplier to make donations to the Group nor to buy products and services from the Group. They shall not impose a reciprocal business arrangement on any supplier.
- 4.Environmental stewardship
- (1)We observe environmental laws, regulations, and ordinances, voluntary industry standards for the environment, and our own voluntary standards, to help society maintain a harmonious coexistence with nature.
- (2)We conduct environmentally sensible, nonpolluting procurement practices in accordance with the "Kyowa Kirin Group Environmental Policy".
- 5.Coevolving relationships of mutual trust with suppliers
- (1)We strive to establish long-term, coevolving relationships of trust with suppliers. We work with suppliers to manage and avoid risks so as to minimize their impacts on society and the Kyowa Kirin Group's business.
- (2)We take the utmost care when managing personal information and confidential business information provided to us by suppliers, and do not disclose them to internal or external parties without the explicit approval of the original suppliers of such information.
- 6Promotion of CSR procurement
We actively promote CSR procurement and commit to sustainable social development with suppliers.
To promote CSR procurement, we believe it to be imperative that suppliers understand and cooperate with our approach to CSR and related initiatives.
We revised the contents of the Kyowa Kirin CSR Procurement Guidebook to promote sustainable procurement in cooperation with suppliers on June 1, 2021
CSR Questionnaire Surveys
With regard to the topics covered in the Supplier Code of Conduct, we annually conduct a CSR questionnaire survey to analyze the CSR activities under way in the supply chain and identify existing issues. The results of the questionnaire are provided to the respondent suppliers as feedback.
We have also conducted CSR questionnaire surveys of overseas suppliers since 2019.
Present status and issues identified through the 2020 CSR questionnaire survey result
- Results showed the same trends overall in 2019 and 2020.
Notably, high scores were recorded for questions on unfair trade, information security and legal compliance over three consecutive years, suggesting strengthened organizational governance and fair business practices.
- Overall scores were low for questions on environmental activities including global warming countermeasures and biodiversity conservation. Environmental activities need to be promoted toward the goal of achieving a sustainable society.
- Scores for questions on measures for workplace safety (occupational accidents countermeasures) and respect for human rights (harassment prevention) showed an upward trend, demonstrating ongoing improvement in labor practices.
- With regard to business continuity planning (BCP), more than 80% of respondents answered that preparatory measures for emergencies were in place, indicating high awareness of wide-ranging risks.
- Amid the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), questions have been raised about human rights issues. In this regard, more than 90% of the respondent suppliers answered that they were giving consideration to human rights with regard to COVID-19 infection.
Interaction with Suppliers
The Kyowa Kirin Group provides suppliers with opportunities to better understand its CSR procurement activities based on the Kyowa Kirin Group Procurement Policy.
Details of the implementation
- Briefing session for CSR procurement
- Supply chain exchange meeting for sharing information on supply-chain-wide issues and solutions
- Checking and sharing CSR-related issues by visiting or holding meetings with individual suppliers and communicating with them via email
- Attendance of procurement staff at quality assurance inspections
Note: Interaction with suppliers may be conducted online if the impact of COVID-19 continues.
Transaction Agreements with Suppliers
When starting new transactions with suppliers, we provide an explanation of our CSR Procurement Guidebook and ask for their understanding and cooperation.
When a large number of new transactions were expected, we held pre-transaction briefing sessions as necessary at the Takasaki Plant in 2018.
Additionally, with existing suppliers, we have been renewing our transaction agreements by adding a new CSR-related provision.
Measures to Be Taken for the Future
The Kyowa Kirin Group reviews its CSR activities, identifies issues that need to be solved, and works to make improvements with the cooperation of its suppliers. In particular, we intend to continue implementing anti-bribery and human rights due diligence, which are high-profile themes. We are also working on environmental preservation by recognizing issues and implementing activities that help prevent global warming.
Looking forward, the Group will further strengthen its collaboration with the entire supply chain and actively push forward CSR procurement with all our suppliers.