Ethical Promotional Activities
We believe that promotional activities are necessary to ensure for people to know and enjoy the value of our products. We at the Kyowa Kirin Group have established the "Kyowa Kirin Group Promotion Policy" to fulfill our management philosophy, and strive for ethical promotional activities as a company engaged in business deeply involved in people's lives and health.
Kyowa Kirin Group Promotion Policy
We at the Kyowa Kirin Group (hereafter referred to as "Our Group") seek to fulfill our management philosophy, "Our Group strives to contribute to the health and well-being of people around the world by creating new value through the pursuit of advances in life sciences and technologies".
We believe that promotional activities are necessary to ensure for people to know and enjoy the value of our products. However, we must not improperly introduce our products to those who do not need them and gain unjust benefits. Therefore, Our Group gives top priority in the promotional activities for our products to conduct fair competition in the market, paying attention to legal compliance and social norms related to our business and keeping appropriate relationships with government and other public institutions in each country and region where we operate.
Our Group conducts ethical promotional activities based on the following policies engaging business widely accepted by society and deeply related to the lives and health of people around the world.
- 1.We recommend our products to be used properly without exaggerating its characteristics.
- 2.We will not slander competitor products.
- 3.We will not make advertisements or misstatements that are false or misleading.
- 4.We will act according to laws, guidelines and industry rules on sales promotion in the countries and regions where our group operates.
- 5.In order to achieve the above, we will build and operate appropriate organizational structures and business processes at each affiliate.
In particular, in the promotion of pharmaceutical products, we will add the following six items in addition to the above five items in accordance with principles of the IFPMA codes, with the aim of providing scientifically and clinically meaningful and appropriate information.
- 1.Communication with healthcare professionals
We will communicate with healthcare professionals aiming to benefit patients and enhance the practice of medicine, and focus on providing scientific and educational information and supporting medical research and education.
- 2.Independence of healthcare professionals
We will not provide and offer gifts, financial gain and/or benefits (scholarships, grants, consultant contracts, etc.) to healthcare professionals in exchange for the prescription, recommendation, purchase, and supply, administration of our medicinal products or the promise to continue these practices. We will not provide or offer any information in a manner or under conditions that may improperly affect the prescribing practices by healthcare professionals.
- 3.Proper use of drugs
We will promote the proper use of pharmaceuticals by presenting the characteristics of pharmaceuticals objectively and without exaggeration.
- 4.National regulations of each country
We will act according to laws, guidelines and industry rules on sales promotion in the countries and regions where our group operates. We will follow the IFPMA codes when conducting activities in countries or regions that do not have proper laws and regulations or industry codes.
- 5.Transparency on promotion activities
We will disclose information on the transfer of values to medical institutions and patient organizations according to laws, guidelines and industry codes on transparency in countries and regions where we operate.
We will establish and operate appropriate organizational structures and business processes that can comply with laws and regulations and industry codes in countries and regions where we operate.
Kyowa Kirin has a system in place to provide appropriate information on pharmaceuticals.
Before providing healthcare professionals and patients with information materials*1 on Kyowa Kirin's pharmaceuticals in Japan, we inspect the materials to check whether they fulfill the guidelines on activities to provide sales information on prescription drugs (hereinafter, the “Guidelines”)*2, as well as the standards required by relevant organizations, including the Japan Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association. The inspection is performed by the supervisory department (CSR Management Department) and a third-party organization.
To meet the Guidelines, we have put in place the committee for supervision of activities to provide sales information on prescription drugs, whose members include third parties. The supervisory department reports to the committee on the situation regarding the supervision of and guidance for departments and staff members that provide marketing information on ethical drugs, as well as on the inspection implemented on information materials, and also seeks advice.
- *1Materials pertaining to Kyowa Kirin's pharmaceuticals and related fields that are used for the purpose of providing information to healthcare professionals, patients, patients groups or the general public.
- *2The guidelines are aimed at improving public health by properly conducting advertising or advertising like behaviors in the activities to provide sales information.
To ensure ethical promotional activities, we offer training programs on related laws and other topics for employees engaged in promotional activities.
Major training programs
- Training for acquiring knowledge of how to create information materials in compliance with laws and regulations (For staff in charge of material creation)
- Training for better understanding CSR and the Guidelines
(For employees engaged in promotional activities)
- Training aimed at widely disseminating the Guidelines among employees (For all employees in japan)